The holidays are such a busy time - wrapping gifts, shopping, decorating the house. Having a gluten-free celebration doesn’t have to be a burden if you plan ahead and use these easy tips for a fabulous holiday celebration.
Buy a gluten-free ham such as Honeybaked ham (an easy way to save time), pre-make some home made cranberry sauce, bake up individual sweet potatoes (stuffed with brown sugar and butter), steam some green beans, toss a salad, and boil up some gluten-free pasta and toss with homemade tomato sauce (which could be made several days ahead). Set up on a holiday table and just enjoy the day.
Why not finish your meal with a delicious carrot cake from my new book, Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free. Enjoy!
Moist and Delicious Carrot Cake Recipe - Serves 16
Everyone loves this carrot cake. Cut it into squares, and it’s a perfect dessert to go.
- Gluten-free cooking spray or canola oil
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend (see chapter 5 or buy)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking soda
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- ¾ cup canola or corn oil
- 2 Tb ground flaxseed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple
- 1 ½ cups finely grated carrot
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-oz) package light cream cheese
- 1 lb confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tb butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9-in. round cake pans with
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan
gum, salt, and allspice.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, and flaxseed until well-blended. Add
the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just blended. Do not
- Fold in walnuts, pineapple, and carrots. Pour batter into prepared
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes
out clean. Remove from oven and cool cake.
- While cake is cooling, prepare frosting by beating together frosting
ingredients until light and creamy.
- Cover cake with frosting and serve.
Tip: For a festive touch, sprinkle cake with toasted coconut or finely ground walnuts.