Looking for a new lunch option? Avocado and cheddar give a nice, creamy texture and a burst of flavor to this terrific sandwich. Pickles, roasted peppers, and bacon are also great additions.
Turkey Avocado Melt
- 4 slices of your favorite whole-grain gluten-free bread
- 2 Tb gluten-free brown mustard
- 4 oz gluten-free honey turkey (such as Boar’s Head), sliced paper thin
- 1⁄8 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 oz shredded reduced-fat gluten-free cheddar cheese
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 slices tomato
- Gluten-free cooking spray or vegetable oil
- Toast bread in a gluten-safe toaster or in the oven
- Spread mustard on bread.
- Make up each sandwich with turkey, avocado, cheddar, red onion, and tomato.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and brown each sandwich on each side until cheese melts, then serve. Can be sprayed with cooking spray and browned under the broiler as well.
Nutritional Information: 362 calories, 19.8 grams protein, 39.7 grams carbohydrates, 14.1 grams fat, 35 milligrams cholesterol, 1094 milligrams sodium, 2.3 grams fiber, 366 milligrams calcium, 3.3 milligrams iron.
Tip: Many people don’t realize that they can be as careful as possible with their gluten-free foods and then turn around and contaminate them with gluten in a toaster that has previously toasted regular wheat bread. To protect your food, have a dedicated gluten-free toaster, use toaster-safe bags, or use your oven with aluminum foil on the rack.
Allergy Tip: This recipe is gluten free, nut free, peanut free, fish free, and shellfish free. To make soy free, use soy-free cooking spray or vegetable oil, and check the bread, cheese, and turkey as well. To make milk free, use a milk-free cheese, omit the sour cream or use a gluten-free vegan alternative, and double-check the bread (if you are soy free as well, check the cheese and sour cream substitutes). To make vegetarian, omit the turkey. To make vegan, omit the turkey and use gluten-free vegan substitutes for the cheese and sour cream (check these for soy if you are soy free as well).