Being an Alzheimer's Disease Caregiver

Reference Shelf

Read our comprehensive summaries of this health topic.

Top Articles See More

  • thumbnail
    When we look for the dignity within persons who have Alzheimer’s disease, we look for ways to help them compensate, cope, and adapt to their ever-changing lifestyle. We remember that the ability to self-reflect will continue despite the disease. Finding ways to empower persons to continue to be productive and of value in life will be part of our new mindset. We might: Find pictures and ask them questions about what they remember about the pictures to help trigger their long-term memory when short-term...Read More
  • thumbnail
    Telling others that you or a loved one has Alzheimer's disease is extremely difficult. When is the right time to tell them? Tell others that you or your loved one has Alzheimer’s disease after a diagnosis has been made by a medical professional—and when you are comfortable doing so. Unfortunately, in our society a stigma is attached to Alzheimer’s disease, just as it is with cancer, AIDS, and many other diseases. Some people do not want to acknowledge that they have the disease, and their families...Read More
  • thumbnail
    As many as 7 out of 10 people with Alzheimer’s disease are cared for in the home by family and friends, who provide 75% of the direct care. Paying for the other 25% of care costs an average of $12,500 a year, most often coming out of family members’ pockets. The average cost for nursing home care for a person with Alzheimer’s disease is $42,000 per year. Many more statistics are available concerning the cost of care for families with a person diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. But this brief...Read More

Meet the Expert!

Roger Brumback

Dr. Roger A. Brumback is a Professor of Pathology and Psychiatry and the Chairman of the Department of Pathology at the Creighton University School of Medicine.

Read More About Me