It's day 4 and time to recharge! Stay on track and feel balanced and strong with this Hero Posture.
Day 4: Hero 1 Posture
This posture provides a gentle backbend and works your body from head to toe, strengthening your foot, leg, arm, and shoulder muscles, stretching your whole spine, and mobilizing your shoulder joints.
Desired Alignments: Keep your feet hip width apart. Align your bent knee with your ankle. Stretch your complete spine, and keep your pelvic muscles tightened.
What to Do: If you practice the hero 1 in motion, breathe and move steadily and rhythmically. Gently bend backward. Completely stretch your spine, leg, and arms, and keep your pelvic muscles tightened.
- Come into the upright standing posture.
- Move your left foot forward. Make sure that your feet are still hip width apart. Keep both legs stretched and both heels on the floor.
- Bring both palms together in front of your sternum.
- With an inhalation, slowly bend your front leg while pushing your elbows backward and stretching your shoulders. Make sure that your front knee is properly aligned over your ankle.
- With an exhalation, slowly move back into the starting position with palms together and the front knee stretched.
- Repeat the exercise for six full inhalations and exhalations.
- To keep the posture, inhale, bend your front knee, stretch out your arms and look upward.
- Hold this posture for six full inhalations and exhalations.
- With an inhalation get back into the starting position.
- Move your front foot backward and get into the standing posture.
- Close your eyes and compare both sides - both legs, both sides of your pelvis, both sides of your face.
- Repeat the exercise with your other foot in front.
- Finally, return to the standing posture, close your eyes, and feel the stretch of your back and the balancing effect of the whole exercise.
About the Book
Yoga XXL: A Journey to Health for Bigger People shows you how to create a safe, enjoyable, and effective yoga practice no matter what your age, size, shape, or physical fitness level. The author, Ingrid Kollak, RN, PhD, is a licensed yoga teacher who knows that everyone can enjoy and benefit from yoga. With this book, you'll have everything you need to bring yoga - and more health and wellness - into your daily life immediately.